Monday, June 25, 2007

A little Darlybird 411

My friends and family laugh at me frequently for my all-too-common comment: "Darlybird is totally at a crossroads of sorts . . . " I'm sure they're thinking, "what crossroads is it this time, and when is Darlybird not going to be at a crossroads?"

Well, I'll lay it out on the line: I'm not sure which direction I want darlybird to take. I have grand plans of growing big and then bigger, and then some days I long for the days of freedom when I canned peaches and applesauce and tomatoes and pickles---not only because I love seeing the fruits of my labors, but also because there was nothing else I
had to do. And now, quite frequently, it's "I've got to make a Maude Grace necklace and get it out in the morning; CRAP! My inventory is off (or sometimes non-existent); This office is so heinously out of order . . . ; I think that product is a total dud; I've got to re-order the Lucy Bag!!!," etc ad infinitum.

It's not that I don't like this craziness. I suppose I often thrive on it. But I've had to realize that my personal characteristics which make Darlybird possible also come with a mixed bag of things that make Darlybird sometimes seem impossible; let's put it this way: being a one-woman show is getting harder by the minute---I certainly can't do everything well----but I really don't know what to do about it.

Anyway, great things are in the works for Darlybird. Modern cribs from Oeuf and Offi (as well as some modern home furnishings) . . . children's clothing from one-of-a-kind seamstresses (is "seamsters" the PC term these days?) . . . amazing rugs and patchwork pillows . . . Darlybird logo t-shirts, baby blankets, etc . . . wall art . . . lots of great stuff!

But I'm learning the fine art of patience (which mastery is never going to be attainable in this lifetime) ---- after all, Darlybird is just one facet of my life and I have to remind myself daily that hunting for ladybugs with my ladies is sometimes more pressing than adding the now-not-so-new product I have had sitting on the shelf for two months. And since I'm a full-time mom and a part-time business owner, I've got to cut myself a little slack.

So, get ready for some new Darlybird products to appear in the near or not-so-near future. It'll happen after the ladybugs have been cozied up to bed.


Happy trails!

4 comments:

QueenScarlett said...

So excited for you! Remember...ladybugs will pee in your hand if give the chance...

Margaret said...

Rachel, I love the site. I rode on the bus with your Dad this morning and heard about your new business. I love your things. I will be a customer... for sure. It is good to hear about everyone and what an entrepeneur you are. Good for you...Say hi to everyone for me.

Rachel said...

margaret--

so happy to hear from you!! hope things are going super duper well!

Natalie said...

frankly, I am completely in awe that you can pull it all together so seemingly perfectly. you've done a great job with the site and darlybird, and from reading your blog, it seems you are doing a great job with the girls and family. go wonderwoman!!