Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Recipe, in case you wanted it . . . .


One of my very favorite meals is a variation on a Moosewood Restaurant recipe. Jon loves it to bits and pieces; I was in a bit of a rut with it and hadn't made it for ages until last night. It's one of those meals that I was excited to eat for leftovers for lunch today. (And tomorrow!)

Sweet Potato Burritoes

1 1/2 c finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 TBS vegetable oil
4 c grated peeled sweet potato (I use one hugey)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
generous pinch of cayenne (I usually leave this out for the kiddos' sakes)
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent. Add the grated sweet potatoes, spices, and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. When the sweet potato is tender, add salt and pepper to taste and remove the filling from the heat. Voila!

This is especially tasty in tortillas with black beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream and guac. I made my black beans last night in my $3 garage sale pressure cooker. Love it!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Rachel,
I must tell you that I got this recipe from you years ago in Davis and we LOVE it. It's one of Randy's favorites for sure. Thanks for the reminder that it's in my repertoire--time to use it again!

Natalie said...

Still one of our favorites too....along with all the other people I've passed it onto!