Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dollhouse Demystified--- Part 4: Ideology and Clothing





{I said Part 3 would be the last. I lied. Here's another section. Please forgive.}

I'll be the first to admit that my husband and I decided that our girls would NEVER play with Barbies. We didn't want the self-esteem issues that come with the women-are-one-size-fits-all and the hoochiness of the Barbie image in our household.

But then one day, pregnant with my second daughter, I was browsing the aisles of KMart with my first daughter, and we saw a Barbie. But it wasn't any Barbie. It was Midge. And Midge was pregnant. She had a magnetic tummy and a cute maternity dress, and a little tiny baby curled up underneath that magnetic belly. And there was a crib for the baby, and ..... I caved. I bought the Barbie for Leah because I knew that had I been her, I would've wanted that very Barbie. I justified it as a great teaching tool. But we all know that our tummies don't pop off with magnets, leaving us back in perfect form. (Wishful thinking!)

I played with Barbies for years on end. And yes, I had body issues. But who's to say that I wouldn't have had them even if I didn't play Barbies? I know plenty of non-Barbie-playing girls who have felt that there bodies aren't just right. So, we have Barbies.

Anyway, I've opted to let my girls play with them; the truth is, they don't even play with them that much. One way we've felt okay with this is that we buy them home made clothing off etsy---clothes that aren't so creepy, metallic, showy, sleazy. And I'm going to show you some of my faves right now. Many of them are made by grandmas who want to earn a little extra moolah; a lot of them are made from vintage fabrics, or at least have a vintage sensibility. Most of them are darling. All are affordable.

Gray Hand-Knit Dress
Red and White Polka PJs
Red Orange Dress
Cute Striped Pants
Black and Pink Polka Dot Dress
Black and White Striped Lipstick Dress
Kaffe Fasset Fabric Dress (Mustard with Dots)
Apple Dress
Salmon Hand-Knit Dress
Little Red Riding Hood Cape (Hand Knit)
Pants and Top
Rosebud Dress
Brown Polka Shirt and Skirt
Yellow Polka Romper
PJ SET: Robe and Short set

OKAY. That was more than you bargained for. Now you better not beat me to that Romper, Kaffe Fasset dress, and Little Red Riding Hood Cape!

1 comment:

Kat's Purrfect Boutique said...

I'm having fun looking at the posts about your daughter's doll house. I recently bought a table and chairs for my Mary Poppins and Bert dolls. Their boxes got ruined so I figured I'll set them up as a display. I was all excited and then realized that 1/12 scale was all wrong. lol The Kelly doll fit on the table ok, but the Polly Pockets would be perfect. At least now I know I need 1.6 scale. :)