Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Did I Ever Tell You?

Just about 2 years ago, I got a strange phone call from a woman at a hoity-toity event planning company in NYC....she was desperately trying to track down some Monarch Butterfly Garlands for a top-secret event, and had seen my butterfly garlands online.  She was so desperate, she was even considering hopping on a plane to China to get them straight from the manufacturer.  Never Fear, Darlybird to the rescue!

In the course of this transaction, it slipped from her mouth that these garlands were actually for an event at the White House.  And I mean THE WHITE HOUSE.  It was top secret, and she wouldn't tell me what they were going to be used for....

Fast forward 2 years, and I was talking to my monarch butterfly supplier, and she said, "did you ever see those pictures of the butterflies at the White House?"  And I said, "No! Where are they?"

You'd think I'd be a little more internet savvy, what with the fact that I own a web business.  A simple google images search yielded photographic evidence that my butterfly garlands were in the same room as the President. And not just the President, but Michelle.  And not just the First Couple, but Beyonce, who performed at the event.  And you may not know this, but I adore me some Beyonce. (I think she is WOMAN personified....)




After a few clicks, I found out the event was the State Dinner for Mexican President Felipe Calderon. The monarch butterflies were there to symbolize the mass monarch migration in Mexico. Fitting.

I'm just thrilled that my MONARCH BUTTERFLY GARLANDS were in the same room as the Pres, Michelle, and Beyonce. Kind of a dream come true.

And in case you were wondering what they ate?

 Jicama with Oranges, Grapefruit, and Pineapple
Citrus Vinaigrette
Ulises Valdez Chardonnay 2007 "Russian River"

Herb Green Ceviche of Hawaiian Opah
Sesame-Cilantro Cracker

Oregon Wagyu Beef in Oaxacan Black Mole
Black Bean Tamalon and Grilled Green Beans
Herrera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 "Selección Rebecca"

Chocolate-Cajeta Tart
Toasted Homemade Marshmallows
Graham Cracker Crumble and Goat Cheese Ice Cream
Mumm Napa "Carlos Santana Brut" N/V

I'm still kind of bummed they didn't invite me.

No comments: