Thursday, June 15, 2017

Go-To Berry Oatmeal Muffins


When I want to serve others, but have limited ingredients or want to give them something healthier (because even though sometimes we eat cookies for breakfast, maybe we shouldn’t ;) I go for Berry Oatmeal Muffins now. I adapted a recipe I found on allrecipes.com to be able to use what I had in my house, and it turned out great. Here’s what I did:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 cup milk (I use flaxseed milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or I’ve used olive oil)
1 egg

1 cup frozen berries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Put muffin tin liners in a muffin tin (makes about 12-14).

In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.

I push the dry ingredients to the side and add in the milk, oil, and egg, then stir it all together until everything is combined. Fold in the berries. Scoop batter into muffin cups.

Bake about 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

* Because I live at a higher altitude, whenever I bake now I am generous with my flour. I think there’s a specific measurement of how much more flour you’re supposed to add in to baking when you’re at a higher altitude (a couple tablespoons maybe?) but I just am generous when I measure out my flour, and it works out just fine!

The original recipe calls for a brown sugar topping as well, so that is something you can do. It also calls for nuts. When I make it, I omit both of those, maybe add in a bit less sugar, and use frozen berries (instead of fresh blueberries like the original calls for). I also use flaxseed milk because it’s just what I have in my house. Sometimes I also shake in some flaxseed meal, unsweetened coconut flakes, or cinnamon, just to mix things up a bit. What I’m saying is, this recipe is very forgiving. And delicious, simple, and I use one bowl and it turns out just fine! And if that's not a winning recipe, I don't know what is.

What are your go-to eat-on-the-run, deliver to friends, have ready quickly recipes?

No comments: