Sunday, April 29, 2007

This is the dress

that I made out of a vintage twin-sized sheet. (I bought it at a thrift store last weekend . . . let's not think about the person who slept on it years ago.) So I didn't have a pattern, and I only had an hour, but I had an idea. And I wanted to do the minimal amount of work possible. Ladies, if you believe it, you can achieve it!! Isn't she so cute in this lovely little number? If you're interested in instructions, I might be able to explain them. But really, it's so easy!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Devon Call said...

Rachel all I have to say is lovely. I also make clothes for Rose and maybe we can exchange some ideas. I too have use the old bed sheets. I am always on the look out for vintage fabric. Price Utah is the best for vintage fabric. I love the pattern as well!

Michelle said...

ok that previous comment was a mistake,it's really me- Michelle

Rachel said...

michelle--that would be awesome! This crazy dress was so amazingly simple. All I did for that little straight front part is cut off the hemmed section of the sheet (long strip across the top) and used that for the bodice. Then I used the leftover of the strip for the straps (folded in half lengthwise to make them thinner and more durable). Then just sewed two pieces of fabric together with a bit of a curve going up to the waist---and then gathered it, sewed it onto the bodice, attached the straps, and then topstitched and hemmed. viola! i'd love to hear about some of your creations!

(And I thought it was awesome that devon was making clothes for Rose . . . ) ;)

jessica said...

I love this! I have recently started collecting vintage sheets and using them for sewing projects. I would love to find a green one. And I'm very impressed that you did this without a pattern.