Monday, June 29, 2009

10 Days Later: Wednesday's Salad


One of my absolute favorite salad recipes is Ina's Panzanella, i.e. Tuscan Bread Salad. I make it frequently in the summer, with produce mainly from our garden. {Talk about satisfaction.....if you don't have a garden, just imagine.}

After I've made a recipe a few times, I usually stop following the directions. Don't even bother to get the cookbook out. Such is the case with this salad, which sometimes works in my favor. For example, the other night I felt like putting cannelini {white kidney beans} in with the salad. Delish!

We usually have this as a main dish, but since 2 of my 3 kids are allergic to wheat and the other is "allergic" to most vegetables, I decided to pair it with Aidell's chicken apple sausages and home-grown blackberries.

For this particular batch, I used a loaf from Amy's Breads in NYC, which was stowed away in my suitcase. It was perfectly hard and ready to go. It was so yummy and satisfying---and helped me eat in more of NYC since I was home and almost ready to go back.

The other best part of this bread arrangement is that I sauteed the whole loaf---and had croutons for Week of the Salad Part 3. Yum!

No comments: